Well I had posted random things on Facebook about this exhibit I went to see in Regina. The experience for me had left me almost speechless,(its really hard to leave me completely speechless sometimes, cause I always have something to say!) However this exhibit left my husband with a chill up his spine.
The Group 7: Was made up in hte 1970's of 7 first nations artists; Daphne Odjig, Norval Morrisseau, Carl Ray, Joseph Sanchez, Alex Janvier, Eddy Cobiness and Jackson Beardy. These seven over came so much discrimination, They were discriminated against for being first nation, and then even more so discriminated against for being contemporary first nation artists. These 7 did not fall into the typical genre of what main stream 1970's society deemed as Indian art. They created their own genre, and paved the road for future first nation artists. This group created the First Indian Professional Artist Association.
I found most interest in Daphne Odjig. I admire her work and her determination to be recognized as a professional artist in s time that was adversarial to women let alone first nations women. As the spearhead of the group I thank her for paving the way for us future contemporary aboriginal artists. Sometimes I loose sight of who I am and where I am going. I loose connection with my inner purpose. When I went to this exhibition, I was feeling a little lost, li, e most days, I wonder looking out at people trying to find where I fit in this great big scheme of people and places. This weekend I was in Regina with the La Ronge Arts Council I volunteered to participate in the OSAC showcase and pick out potential touring exhibits and performances to bring back to La Ronge for for the 2014/15 season. I was happy to be there, learning so much about the arts culture of Saskatchewan. Learning things I never new before. However there was a sense that I just did not fit in. It was probably because I am new to all this and not very familiar with the arts culture. My partner had suggested to me when we had a break to check out an art exhibit At the McKenzie. As you may have gathered I did not regret going. When I walked in to the gallery, I was speechless.
![]() |
| http://northernwaterways.com/blog/images/2007/water_spirit_1972.jpg |
First walked in and was greeted by "Water Spirit" by Norval Morrisseau, I then turned and was presented by "Flock" a large painting by Jackson Beardy, it was not the painting that struck me but the quote stencilled underneath it
![]() |
| http://www.mackenzieartgallery.ca/uploads/media_items/jackson-beardy-flock.580.409.s.jpg |
"I no longer see myself as torn between two worlds but rather as a lifeline between them." Jackson Beardy
At that moment it seemed that everything I knew believed and felt was reconfirmed. As an artist and a Halfbreed, it is my job to be a lifeline, to communicate the things no one can. I know sounds a little self-righteous, and that's not what I am trying portray. I am not all knowing, but i do understand how it feels to be on each side if a coin. The old halfbreed conundrum. To white to be Indian to Indian to be white. Jackson Beardy is passed on now, but I want to say thank you. Thank you for finding your place, it helped me find strength in mine.
![]() |
| http://www.mackenzieartgallery.ca/uploads/media_items/daphne-odjig-so-great-was-their-love.580.723.s.jpg |
As i continued on through the show, My partner pointed out a piece that Daphne Odjig had done, noting that it was her favourite. She had then pointed out the quote next to it. Daphne spoke to me. She writes,
"Every artist paints from their own cultural heritage and their own experience. Whatever your heritage, it will come out in your brush. My counsel to young artists is to stop worrying about authenticity. It is within you."
I know she was refers to a time where people had criticized her work, since it did not fall into the accepted genre of Indian art of her time. However it felt at that moment she was only speaking to me. Like she said those words for only me to hear. I was in awe. I do not want to understate the work of the other artists. They all contributed to the atmosphere and life I felt in that room.
"Every artist paints from their own cultural heritage and their own experience. Whatever your heritage, it will come out in your brush. My counsel to young artists is to stop worrying about authenticity. It is within you."
I know she was refers to a time where people had criticized her work, since it did not fall into the accepted genre of Indian art of her time. However it felt at that moment she was only speaking to me. Like she said those words for only me to hear. I was in awe. I do not want to understate the work of the other artists. They all contributed to the atmosphere and life I felt in that room.
That afternoon in the Mackenzie Gallery was haunting, the spirit was alive. That spirit spoke to my head, heart and soul. I felt in unison, and connected with what it was telling me. It was more then just hearing it and understanding it, I knew it! It was mine to know, and feel, Not very often does this happen but I felt, and was allowed to Be. I was, in that moment, the epitome of harmony. The best version of me.



No comments:
Post a Comment